Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mutual Consideration


I have tried whenever the opportun-
ity has arisen to leave Brooke at home with Steven and take just Anna with me when I need to run an errand. (A brief aside, it's amazing to me that I used to think it was difficult to take Anna out pre-Brooke.) That way she still gets some one-on-one mommy time. Despite the fact that she really digs it--I get all kinds of hugs and kisses and overall cheesing from Anna during our time--the first time we left she pointed to the place Brooke's carseat goes and said "Where's baby?" I told her, "Your baby sister is with Daddy." Brows furrowed, she replied seriously, "Oh."
Next, on another said trip, when I placed her in the shopping cart, she turned around to the "bed" of the cart where I normally put Brooke in her infant carseat and gesticulating wildly yelled, "Sister! Sister in dere!"
"Honey, your baby sister is at home with Daddy," I told her.
"Oh," the brows furrowed once more, this time with a pouty face.
Flash ahead to a communal trip where I had Brooke in her infant carseat on the floor of the garage while I buckled Anna into her carseat. Anna spots Brooke and begins flailing and pointing while saying--nay, shouting--"Brooke!! BROOKE!! Get Brooke! Over dere! OVER dere, Mommy! Where's Brooke?!?!?!?"
At least I know there's very little chance I will ever forget, walk off, and leave Brooke sitting anywhere.
And Brooke...this little child will twist herself in circles trying to see what Anna is up to. When she hears Anna come into the room, Brooke's head immediately turns to see what she's doing. Brooke loves to watch Anna play. It's too funny!

No comments: