Because I have a passion for all things culinary, I decided that it is time to include Anna in assembling the dough for my magic cookies. In the past Anna has expressed interest in my kitchen "power tools," a trait I feel sure she inherited from the Dunham gene pool, but I still wanted to start her early forming good habits when it comes to cooking/baking. It is an essential skill, in my opinion, for any person, male or female, and something you can use all your life. My kids don't have to be professional chefs (or even like cooking), but I do want them to know the basics. And what better way to get a kid passionate about baking then to start them of with a serious batch of the world's most wonderful cookies? (I'm not that arrogant, folks, the recipe is from Food Network.)
So, while Brooke took her morning power nap, we had alot of fun making the dough. Anna sat on the counter and watched me intently. Whenever I would turn on the stand mixer to incorporate ingredients, she would protectively put her hand on the top of the mixer and stare while the arm spun around. And if I got anything on the counter, she would yell, "Made a mess! Mama, made a mess!" Everything went without mishap; we made 2 perfect batches of dough; then, Anna got to enjoy the fruit of her "labors" and enjoy eating some cookie dough. Hence the video above.
An aside, my KitchenAid stand mixer is the second best (after my engagement ring) gift Steven has ever given me. I love it! He got me a refurbished one for Christmas two years ago, and I have used it at least once a week ever since. He got me a refurb to make sure it would be worth the investment (I have weakness for kitchen gadgets that end up not getting used) and when this one dies, I think I will be able to get a new one. So, if you are an avid baker, I would recommend saving up your money and getting one--they ROCK.
8 comments:
That's terrific....that is one thing that I failed to do with Chelsey while she was young like Anna. She likes to do things in the kitchen...but without supervision. So that's not so bad! The recipe sounds great. I'll have to try it soon. Soooo where did Steve get a refurbished Kitchen Aid?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound self-righteous about teaching my kids to cook--that was the last thing on my mind--it's just something that's important to me, that's all. Everyone has different convictions for their families!
Definitely try the recipe. I leave out the nuts because we do not prefer them.
Steven got it on ebay. It was still kinda expensive, but half price nonetheless.
Hi, Erin!
I agree with you about the KitchenAid mixer. I finally got one for my birthday last year, and I love it! It took me 30+ years to get one, but it is great. I loved the video of Anna. I especially love the look when you mention the chocolate chips. I guess she is learning early the cookie dough is much better than cookies!
Debbie
Hey Debbie!! Why is it that cookie dough is so much better, anyway?
We would LOVE to have you guys come up sometime...also, we can't wait to see you at the beach in September!
Oh...Erin...I didn't think you came across as self-righteous. That was just my perception of thinking out loud that if I had a do over, I would probably include Chelsey more as I did some things. She has learned plenty and is able to cook anything she wants to...I'll just say this....cooking is not a high priority item with her right now. I love that you are bringing your girls alongside of what you are doing and you are teaching them things that are important to you. Keep doing that, don't ever stop!!! And why is cookie dough better than the cookies themselves???? Sometimes I buy the Pillsbury rolls of chocolate chip cookie dough and we never bake it, we just eat it! Yum!!!
Okay, good, I just never want to be a person that causes others to stumble with my opinions.
So we're not the only ones that eat cookie dough more then cookies :) YAY!
Anna and Grandpa Chuck have cookie dough in common! I bought a bucket of cookie dough from someone at work as a school fund raiser and tried to hide it in the freezer and the next thing I know he's sitting on the couch spooning it out and eating it as he watches TV. I think it's great you are showing her the function of a kitchen. Cooking is a great way for children to learn many things-counting, measurements, etc. Keep having fun with your girls. Love Deborah
Chuck is too funny!
Anna and I made brownies this morning, and I think the only thing she is learning right now is that something tasty is involved ;)
You're right though, it does have educational value. I hadn't thought of that. I am more concerned with the fun :)
Post a Comment