This is a belated post on a belated anniversary trip. Though our 5th anniversary was in October, we had to go in November because of a family trip. Ultimately, we went to Auburn's homecoming game, which was nice because it was a game we knew they would win :)
Steven got us in a great hotel less than a mile from Jordan-Hare Stadium, and a quarter mile from Toomer's Corner (the significance of this understood by Auburn-ers).
On Friday, we walked down to a diner called Cheeburger Cheeburger, a place where Steven ate regularly when he was in school. No, I am not spelling it wrong, it is a play off of that old SNL skit that John Belushi did. The deal with this place is, if you eat a pound burger you get your picture taken and it gets put on the wall. Of course, Steven was up to the challenge, (I was not, and got a sissy-sized burger) and got his picture taken, and restaurantial applause:
On Saturday, we walked around campus, bought some Auburn paraphernalia, and saw the sights. It was a beautiful campus. Here we are in front of Sanford Hall, a historic landmark on the Auburn campus. The photo behind our title (top of page) is actually a side view of this building.
Here's another picture of Sanford Hall.
The game had a 12:30 pm (central time) kick-off, so we headed to our seats about 12:00. We got there in time to see them release the war eagle, which I must admit, I thought was a cheesy custom (and confusing from a mascot standpoint), until I saw it. It was really cool. They released the eagle right over our section, so we got to see a great view of the whole extravaganza. Mr. War Eagle flew about 20 feet over our heads before war-eagling his was down to mid-field.
We tried to get a fellow fan to take our picture, but he was a little confused (drunk), and this was the best he could do.
I would consider myself a very loyal Gator fan, but I have to say that I think Aubie (Auburn's mascot--obviously) is way cooler than Albert. I mean, really, what is cooler than a mascot that wears a full length, pimp-daddy (faux) fur coat OVER a costume when it's 80 degrees?
Here's the field, and the band. I forgot to take a picture of the players running out on the field, but we were on the opposite side, so it would not have been that interesting.
We had a great time. We went out that night and got to watch the Gators whip Vandy, and people were actually (for the most part) very friendly towards a slightly different shade of orange and blue. Who-da thunk?
No comments:
Post a Comment